One of the best things about Brisbane is its location. When it comes to weekend destinations that are within easy driving distance of the city, there’s an abundance to choose from.
From beaches to mountains, the outback, the rainforest or even an island or two, Queensland has the lot! In addition to an amazing selection of outdoor wonders and beauty spots (and let’s face it, time spent immersed in our stunning scenery is always time well spent), there are also a wealth of activities, attractions and pastimes available in places such as Toowoomba, Bundaberg, Cunnamulla, Charleville and Cairns.
Start Planning Your Dream Weekend Away
Here we take a look at some of the best weekend options for summer weekends away, family-friendly options and ten weekend escapes that are the perfect getaway option. We also include some important practicalities to consider when planning your trip.
Summer Weekends Away
A great choice for couples, families or groups, Tamborine Mountain has plenty of trails waiting to be explored. In addition, there’s also galleries, breweries and some unmissable glow worm caves. We recommend a camper van, caravan or camping to get the most from your Tamborine Mountain experience.
Multi-coloured sands and a tranquil ambience define Rainbow Beach. If you like the great outdoors, this is a fantastic destination.
Top Family Destinations
A great place to get away from it all, Mooloolaba is a peaceful place. Home to a stunning aquarium that will keep the children amused for an hour or two, it’s ideal for a tranquil, laid-back weekend.
If you want a weekend trip that offers something for everyone, Surfers Paradise is the place to go. Not only is there a fantastic beach, but also nearby attractions such as Dreamworld (Australia’s largest theme park), Wet ‘n’ Wild, Sea World and Movie World are also all easily accessible. There’s also plenty of shopping opportunities.
Beaches, an extinct volcano and Tropical Fruit World are just some of the options at Tweed Heads and nearby. Why not enjoy a morning exploring the rockpools at Snapper Rocks?
The Australia Zoo
Home of the Crocodile Hunter, the Australian Zoo is conveniently located on the Sunshine Coast, near Glass House Mountains.
10 Weekend Escapes
1. Noosa/Noosaville – combining high-end shopping with fine dining, Noosa is also near a National Park and the beach.
2. Ipswich – a charming inland location, Ipswich is a must for train enthusiasts! Enjoy the historic buildings, steam trains and other heritage attractions.
3. Stanthorpe – if you’re a foodie, you’re going to love Stanthorpe! With plenty of opportunities to purchase fresh farm produce, it’s also home to several breweries and wineries.
4. Toowoomba – whether you challenge yourself with the hike to the top of Tabletop Mountain, or enjoy a more leisurely weekend enjoying the museums and historic attractions, Toowoomba is a great place to spend time.
5. Nimbin – a relaxed town with a hippy vibe!
6. Bundaberg – a perfect choice if you like snorkelling or other watersports, Bundaberg is also home to an iconic rum distillery and an aviation museum – an eclectic mix that makes for an intriguing and unforgettable weekend.
7. Moreton Island – wonder at the Tangalooma Shipwrecks, or take a tour around the coast to see the Cape Moreton Lighthouse. Moreton Islands also provides the perfect opportunity to relax in the warm, bubbling, champagne pools.
8. Montville – located in the heart of farming country, Montville has a wealth of local foodstuffs on offer.
9. Byron Bay – slightly quirky, Byron Bay has a vibrant, eclectic vibe that’s very appealing. Why not visit when one of the Bay’s festivals is taking place? From Bluesfest to the Falls Music and Art Festival, there’s always something to enjoy in Byron Bay.
10. Stradbroke Island – a beautiful, tranquil destination that is a great place to relax and recharge.
If you’re looking to upgrade your caravan, camper, boat or 4WD, get a 30 second quick quote on finance with CreditOne – Australia’s best rated finance broker.